Re: Example configuration

> On Monday 24 April 2006 06:44, itachi@cnt.uo.edu.cu was heard to say:
>> for example
>> that computer rigth now is routing an ip4 network
>> now if i install radvd in this computer and on the config i assing
>> fd27:2b14:2baf:0:/64
>
> radvd is "router advertisement daemon". All it will do is serve
> addresses the same way DHCP does to IPv6 capable hosts on the LAN.
mmm troublesome
cose here i have trouble with electric power
if i hav a black out all the ipv6 computers can get off on the network if
the domain pdc server get broken as the mail+-router server both debian
with ipv4 and ipv6 support

i was thinking install radvd in the debian box runing as router .

but now i just think :/
if can be troublesome migrate my lan to ipv6 or only leave ipv6 computer
the servers only and a few unix computers on my network

>> the ipv4 computers from other networks can ping and ssh to the ipv6
>> addres of my local computers ?
>
> No. IPv4 and IPv6 are different, which is why your interface has both
> v4 and v6 listed. Only hosts which are IPv6 enabled can communicate
> IPv6, and only with the other IPv6 machines.
yes but for example
the computer 10.30.1.3
have ipv6 support can view an ipv6 computer using ping6 right?

> IPv4 and IPv6 packets travel on the same hardware, but they are not
> cross-compatible. IPv4 will see only other IPv4 systems, IPv6 will
> see only other IPv6 systems.
>
> The fact that a single computer can have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
> on the same interface can create that confusion, but they do not talk
> to each other at all. That's why there is a "ping" command for IPv4,
> and a "ping6" command for IPv6.
>
> I have "server6" pointing to my IPv6 addressed server, "gateway4"
> pointing to the IPv4 interface on my router. You can see how ping
> doesn't understand IPv6 addresses, ping6 doesn't understand IPv4:
> ==========
> # ping server6
> ping: unknown host server6

exactly

> # ping6 server6
> PING server6(gateway6) 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from gateway6: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=19.1 ms
> 64 bytes from gateway6: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=16.7 ms
how did u do that ?  gateway6: ????

> - --- server6 ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.780/17.943/19.106/1.163 ms
>
> # ping6 gateway4
> unknown host
exactly

> # ping gateway4
> PING gateway4 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from gateway4 (192.168.1.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=22.0 ms
:)

> - --- gateway4 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 22.087/22.087/22.087/0.000 ms
> ==========
>
> Curt-
>

> - --
> September 11th, 2001
> The proudest day for gun control and central
> planning advocates in American history

                           Luis A. Rondon Paz
    L I N U X       .~.    Admin intranet CNT
   The  Choice      /V\    icq #132736035
    of a GNU       /( )\   itachi@cnt.uo.edu.cu
   Generation      ^^-^^    Santiago de cuba
                   UONET

           ###########
         ###############
       ####           ####