Re: Ipv6 DNS and ipv4 host - Tranistion problem

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 17:56 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> A properly configured IPv6 network will not require as much work as is
> the case for IPv4.

Can you elaborate on this?

Except for the fact that one will most likely get a /48, there really is
not much of a difference in IPv4 versus IPv6.

There exist DHCPv6 and DHCP (for IPv4), routing protocols are the same,
DNS is the same. The only thing is that IPv6 addresses are longer and
thus are more inconvienient to remember. For ther rest what will
actually lighten the load?

Note also that inplace prodedures for updating all IPv4 tools to also
support IPv6 is not a lot of fun...

<SNIP>
> Note that IPv6 requires a working IPv4 stack to be present in order to
> function properly.

Why would a host require IPv4? That for instance Linux 'design' doesn't
allow it because IPC uses IPv4 in some cases doesn't mean one have to
have IPv6 on all platforms.

> You can't set up an IPv6 host that cannot be assigned
> an IPv4 address.

Why not?

>  Obviously that doesn't mean you can't set up a host
> that has only an IPv6 address, but then that's something entirely
> different.

What is different between a host without IPv4 support and one without an
IPv4 address (including loopbacks)?

<SNIP>
> > My Transition means Ipv4 network can be cut off in
> > some date. In short, only one network ,one protocol,
> > one standard after transition.
>
> That's just Not Going To Work. Your IPv6-only hosts will not be able to
> reach about 90% of the Internet, currently (the part that's still
> IPv4-only).

There are really a lot more transition mechanisms than dual-stack, check
for instance:

http://www.join.uni-muenster.de/Dokumente/Howtos/Howto_TRT.php?lang=en

> The day IPv6 can reach about 75% of the net, your plan might be viable.

Not if one arranges gates to the IPv4 networks using eg the above.

> Between now and then, you're just crazy.

Then I guess *tweet tweet I am a birdy tweet* I am quite crazy...

Greets,
 Jeroen