RE: ipv6 debian 2.2 and kernel 2.4 apt links

Hi Xavier,

> I am running a debian 2.2 with kernel 2.4.18.
> For that I use some packages provided at:
> deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian potato main
> deb-src http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian potato main

OK, personally i think it's not a good idea.
The potato have IPv6 support in original kernel (just add it in
modconf).

> Since I was interested in ipv6 I did all the stuff provided
> on the debian ipv6 project web-page.
>
> And specially, I put the links:
> deb http://www14.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/db3/h-yamamo/ipv6/debian potato/
> deb http://people.debian.org/~kitame/ipv6 ipv6 unstable
>
> The problem with it is that It has replaced some of my
> packages by older ones
> like ifup/ifdown (I had to remove the auto parameter from the
> /etc/network/interfaces file).
> Also some of them have not been installed because I already
> used newest ones, like bind...

It's for that if don't like contrib packages, a lot of them are not
updated.
You can get too many security problem by using old contrib packages...

> So finaly I setup everything a layer 3 but I have no
> aplication that can be used in IPV6.

What's application do you want ?

> What can I do ? I thought to go to woody right now and use
> only the based packages
> ready for ipv6 like bind 9, or I thought to go back in my
> installation process and
> remove packages installed with the two ipv6 links above given
> that my old packages must
> support ipv6 because they are part of the packages of the new
> kernels 2.4.X that support ipv6.

I think it's the best solution for upgrade your debian to woody.

Best Regards,

Nicolas DEFFAYET