Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 4:51 AM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I'll start with giving a concrete example of how the proposed change may
> lead users into setting a bad configuration. After that replies to parts
> of Changwoo's message follow.
>
> On Ubuntu we make use of the im-config API to provide a simpler UI
> component for user settings. The options we show are the options which
> "im-config -l" output plus "none". The attached image shows what it
> looks like.
>
> With Changwoo's MR, and if you enter an Ubuntu on Wayland session with
> no ~/.xinputrc file, the current value of that UI is "none". If a user
> wants to use some IBus input method, it's not unlikely that they will
> change it to "IBus", since that's the intuitively right setting, and
> with that unconsciously break other things on the desktop.
>
> There is also a myriad of tutorials and answers on the web which
> recommend just that. These are two examples:
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/xiangyangsite/home/technical-tips/linux-unix/common-tips/install-ibus-for-chinese-input-on-ubuntu
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/59356/how-do-i-get-chinese-input-to-work/667295
>

> On 2020-05-23 01:43, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> > 2020년 5월 22일 (금) 오후 7:09, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj@ubuntu.com>님이 작성:
> >> GNOME on Wayland complicates it a bit. The GNOME developers prescribe
> >> that the GTK_IM_MODULE environment variable should be unset (or set to
> >> "wayland"), or else you can expect to run into issues. One known example
> >> is that if you set GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus on GNOME on Wayland, the On Screen
> >> Keyboard (OSK), which is an important accessibility feature, breaks.
> >> This is not a bug but a result of misconfiguration according to the
> >> GNOME devs, who have no intention to change it.
> >
> > The GNOME upstream assumes it and that's what upstreams often do (and
> > it often annoys). The upstream just want users to use GNOME without
> > setting anything or even knowing "IBus" or what an IM is. A
> > configuration program like im-config or using non-IBus IMs is also
> > against that assumption. I'm saying that we are not exactly following
> > assumptions set by upstream. im-config should do what it does.
>
> Yes, sadly enough the GNOME devs have made the strategic decision to
> integrate only IBus and ignore other IM frameworks. There is not much we
> can do about that, so when a user chooses to use a non-IBus engine on
> GNOME, they do it at their own risk.
>
> But IBus is cherished by GNOME. And for that reason, in case of GNOME on
> Wayland, the IBus configuration set by im-config should better be in
> accordance with what the GNOME devs prescribe.

I'd like to add a little bit here, most GNOME devs don't use an input
method for everyday life so it's not really a user experience centric
decision. That decision was made because Redhat does invest some
manpower to work on ibus and there are many Redhat people are involved
with GNOME, which is fully understandable.

Regards,
Aron