News from DDTSS: March 2024

Hello i18n list!

Here are some news from DDTSS since last month. Note that the 1-month interval is pure coincidence, but who knows, maybe I'll send regular updates now. :)

Below are some of the cool things that happened since last month.

One new language handled by DDTSS
=================================

On the #ddtp IRC channel, Maytham Alsudany requested Arabic to be added to the list of languages handled by DDTSS. Welcome to the 'ar' team and congrats for your first completed description translation! Only… a few more to go! :D

Code contributors can run DDTSS locally
=======================================

Contributors can now run DDTSS locally and test their changes live. A set of [instructions] is now provided to have your very own DDTSS. Hopefully this will motivate more people to contribute and will make their life easier. At least it made mine easier, so that's a win, if you ask me. :)

[instructions] https://salsa.debian.org/l10n-team/ddtp/-/blob/master/documentation/run-locally.adoc

More ideas to work on, add your own!
====================================

In my last message, I asked for feedback to make DDTSS better. I received really good answers and put all those great ideas in our [issue tracker] in Salsa. Good ideas are always welcome, so do not hesitate to open issues to share them with us!

[issue tracker] https://salsa.debian.org/l10n-team/ddtp/-/issues

You can now unfetch descriptions
================================

Speaking about good ideas, Daniele Forsi suggested to add the ability to 'unfetch' descriptions when we know it won't be translated. For instance, if it was fetched/requeued by mistake, or if it will change very soon because we opened a bug report to fix it. As of today, you can now do so. A new 'Unfetch' button appeared in the translation pages.

Under the hood
==============

This section is for changes that are not as important nor user-facing, but that I'm still super excited about.

The daily update script is a bit faster

DDTSS runs its update script daily. This script takes a few hours to complete because it has a lot of packages, architectures, releases, and languages to process, and it makes the whole DDTSS very slow. Thanks to changes submitted by Vofka Lu, we made our first dent in this super long processing time, cutting out roughly 45 minutes.

Ongoing refactoring

Some changes are happening to clearly separate the parts that process data from the parts that display that data and create the web pages. This is an important step to enable people to make much needed graphical changes without touching Perl code.

What's next?

With the ongoing tasks and the ones listed on Salsa, we have plenty enough to keep ourselves busy for a while. Moreover, exciting topics are being worked on, but I won't say more to not jinx it. :) You can always visit our issue tracker and open merge requests if you want a sneak peak of what is being prepared.

See you next time!
Thomas