Re: Removal of http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/templates/

Quoting SZERVÁC Attila (sas@321.hu):

>  Hi, Denis
>
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Denis Barbier wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > mostly all packages have switched to po-debconf, so I plan
> > removing all pages under http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/templates/
> > next week, translating packages listed there is a waste of time.
>
>  I don't understand this topic exactly. Can You or anybody help me?

Denis is talking about the status pages for debconf templates that do
not use po-debconf. These templates had to be translated "the hard
way" by putting translations directly in the templates file, without
using PO files.

The switch to po-based debconf translations ahppened shortly after the
release of woody, in September 2002. After active campaining by
translators, there is no more significant packages that still use the
old system. The very few that still do are unmaintained and crappy
stuff none cares about.

This is why Denis proposes to abandon the above pages.

>  MyQ: There is any central support 4 l10n of templates today?
>       I've translated lot of templates earlier by DDTP.
>       These translation are lost? (I think: yes:(()

That's possible. In the days the DDTP was active (up to November
2003), it proposed debconf templates translation....for those that
were never applied by maintainers, I'm afraid there's not much hop...

>       If this general support exists now, where is, how can I use 4
>       translation of various templates translation, how can I access
>       this general support? Can I access this by SVN? Or by mail? Through
>       web interface? Where? I can't find documentation 4 work.

If you want to work on debconf tempaltes translations, then
http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/ is your friend.