Re: /hurd/kbd missing or deprecated?

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:29:02AM +0100, Michael Graham wrote:
> Now here comes the problem. Most (if not all) of the help I can find
> about running XFree86 tell me to run the commands
>
> settrans -cg /dev/kbd
> chown root /dev/kbd
> chmod 444 /dev/kbd
> settrans /dev/kbd /hurd/kbd /dev/kbd
>
> to start the translator for the keyboard. The only thing is I don't have
> /hurd/kbd on my machine (hurd 20040508-2) and was wondering if the
> method of setting up the keyboard had changed or if /hurd/kbd was
> missing because I need to install another package or if it's a bug in
> the hurd package?

The Hurd package got recently changed. /hurd/kbd has been removed, so
you can't run X from the Mach console anymore. You should run the Hurd
console (console -d vga [...]) with the option --repeat=/dev/kbd, like
'console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=/dev/kbd -d generic_speaker /dev/vcs'

This will hopefully just work[tm] once the Hurd console is started
automatically on bootup.

Michael