HP Visualise J280 - what sort of monitor do I really need?

I've just acquired an HP J280 with an HCRX24 graphics adapter.  Hooking up a
modern multi-sync monitor didn't exactly work - the guy I bought it from did
mention that it was sync-on-green - however, at www.openpa.net under HCRX it
says "They output a fixed resolution of 1280x1024 and use a standard HD15 VGA
connector.".

On the back of the board I see 3 pins of the VGA connector have been
short-circuited - though clearly as an afterthought.  Has this card perhaps
been rewired to do sync-on-green or ?

I'd prefer to just a standard monitor - is it possible?

--
Per Jessen, Zurich
Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.com