Re: 2.6.5-pa8 completely breaks CONFIG_SND_HARMONY

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Grant Grundler wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:27:32AM +0300, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:
> > ...going as far as preventing kernel compilation:
> > CC [M]  sound/parisc/harmony.o
> > make[3]: *** [sound/parisc/harmony.o] Error 1
> > Previously, the ALSA driver would at least compile (though it
> > doesn't work), but not anymore.
>
> I fail to see a problem with this. This is in fact a better situation
> than a driver that compiles and doesn't work since novices won't have
> to figure that out through trial and error.

I have strong doubts that novices would try to build theyr own CVS kernel.

However, if PA-RISC would see more frequent commits to vanilla, I would be able
to do what I do on PPC: keep both drivers enabled in the config, build them both
and only get around switching to ALSA the day it works for real.

> >  Given how the OSS driver is also broken, it leaves me without sound
> > support on this host, which makes using kernel 2.6 somewhat dubvious...
>
> While we certainly didn't intend to break OSS harmony driver, the
> poor bugger is in need of some TLC.

In the long run, that driver should probably be droped and work be focused on
getting the ALSA driver to work rock-solid, then submit it to upstream ALSA,
once someone can commit to maintining it has been found.

Personally, I have been waiting for ALSA to work on PPC and PA-RISC, so that I
can finally switch to (the rumoured to be oh-so-much-better) ALSA on all hosts.

> > I realize that the sound support might not be such a high-priority,
> > but I still think that having both drivers in a broken state is unacceptable.
>
> yeah - audio support is definitely a weak in the parisc-linux port.
> ad1889 hasn't really ever worked right either (#&@%!ng documentation).
> But I'm willing to help anyone who is able to maintain those parts.
> (ie questions about DMA/Interrupts/MMIO - not how harmony works
> since I have no clue).

Unfortunately, my C skills don't go far beyond "hello.c", but if I can help this
port by packaging anything for Debian, I'm definitely available.  Right now, I'm
trying to package an xgcc-3.3 for PPC to allow me to build my PA-RISC kernels on
my iMac, which should be a good example of my advanced packaging skills. Less
complicated packages I have done can be found at http://funkyware.konflux.at/

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/