Re: Debian on rp 7400

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:43:46AM -0600, Conan C. Albrecht wrote:
> We have an RP 7400 (N-class) server with 8 processors (2GB ram per
> processor).  It's a very nice machine and is only a few years old.  :)

Yes. it's a wonderful machine. 8 CPU. 6 GB/s backplane.  12 4X PCI slots.

> Does anyone have experience installing Debian on the 7400 (N-class)?
> smaller n-class in non-smp mode.  We, of course, want to use all 8
> processors.

IIRC, "non-equivalently mapped aliases" cause N-class and L-3000
to not operate in SMP mode correctly. Someone who understands parisc
and linux vm would need suitable motivation to fix this. I can send
trader joes organic dark chocolate if that would help. :^)

BTW< this topic has been thoroughly discussed on parisc-linux
mailing list. See www.parisc-linux.org mailing list archives.

> The machine does not have a CD drive, floppy drive, but we've been able
> to at least start using the tiny FTP method.  The kernel starts loading
> but then the machine freezes as if it is an incompatible kernel.  We
> haven't tried the newer 3.0 image yet.

best to use the netinstall ISO from:
	ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/cd-images/testing/auto-isos/

	http://pateam.esiee.fr/

grant