Re: Withdrawal of ITP

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 08:04:56PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 09:49:15AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > There's a lot of disappointment among the developers too. It should be
> > fixed soon but I can certainly understand your position.
>
> I've been following debian-devel, so am aware of what has publicly been
> said (which I am sure isn't the whole story).  I'm still interested in
> helping out in some way.
>
> I realize the system needed changing and what I've seen sounds like the
> new proposal is a good approach.  I suppose I should have gone ahead
> with things anyway, but I didn't.  In any case, I am not able to work
> on anything at present and will have even less time in a few weeks, so
> please go ahead.

The old system had problems and we got into some (small amount) of
trouble with it, which is why it needed fixing.  There is now a small
trickle of new maintainers coming into the project as there is some
trials of the new new-maintainer system.  i know this for a fact as I
am one of the new-maintainer admins.  Itis only a small trickle because
we (all the admins) are trying to learn the new process and debug it.

I think there is about 20 trial applicants going on (in parallel).  Mine
was test #6.

> Regarding aprsd, I agree with your comments.  The only reason I
> considered creating a package is that it is very Red Hat specific and
> Dale said he created it for his own use and didn't want to add in
> support for other distributions (not that a lot of work would be
> needed).
I thought aprsd had some stupid license, has it changed?  I can remember
having a conversation about how evil it was with its rather bizzare
license.

> I expect I'll have some more time in 3 or 4 months, depending on how
> things progress and will look for something to package then.
By then the new admins should had the system worked out.

> > UNIX authentication stuff is left in. It might be possible to link in the
> > .o in the i386 version and use the free source in the others. Or perhaps
> > some other mechanism where all architectures use the free code, and i386
> > can dynamically load (plug-in) the better authentication.
They should of made it a library.

> > Or I will invent a new authentication scheme and try to take over the world.
I wish you well, the current sitaution is not good.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>