Re: AX.25 & drivers in the standard kernel package

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 11:32:22PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Ron N5IN emailed me wondering if Debian 2.2 would have AX.25
> out of the box. We'll certainly have the latest ax25-tools and ax25-apps
> thanks to Craig, but AFAIK there's no AX.25 stuff compiled in the
> standard kernel package from Herbert Xu.

Just checked kernel 2.2.10 in base:

#
# Amateur Radio support
#
CONFIG_HAMRADIO=y

#
# Packet Radio protocols
#
CONFIG_AX25=m
# CONFIG_AX25_DAMA_SLAVE is not set
CONFIG_NETROM=m
CONFIG_ROSE=m

#
# AX.25 network device drivers
#
CONFIG_MKISS=m
CONFIG_6PACK=m
CONFIG_BPQETHER=m
CONFIG_DMASCC=m
CONFIG_SCC=m
# CONFIG_SCC_DELAY is not set
# CONFIG_SCC_TRXECHO is not set
CONFIG_BAYCOM_SER_FDX=m
CONFIG_BAYCOM_SER_HDX=m
CONFIG_BAYCOM_PAR=m
CONFIG_BAYCOM_EPP=m
CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM=m
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_SBC is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_WSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK1200 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK2400_7 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK2400_8 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK2666 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_HAPN4800 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_PSK4800 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_FSK9600 is not set

#
# Misc. hamradio protocols
#
CONFIG_HFMODEM=m
# CONFIG_HFMODEM_SBC is not set
# CONFIG_HFMODEM_WSS is not set

> Any thoughts on whether this is worth doing? I think it should be
> straightforward enough to compile all these as modules -- they shouldn't
> interfere with anything, only consume diskspace if you're not using them.

So here you go. Most stuff is compiled as modules, shouldn't be a
problem using them.

Just put the following in your /etc/modutils/aliases:

alias net-pf-3 ax25
alias net-pf-6 netrom
alias net-pf-11 rose
alias net-pf-17 af_packet