Re: Packaging feedback/review for LXD

On Thu, 2022-05-19 at 17:18 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> 2022, മേയ് 19 5:10:51 PM IST, Mathias Gibbens <mathias@calenhad.com>ൽ
> എഴുതി
> > On Thu, 2022-05-19 at 15:05 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > > Hi Mathias,
> > >
> > > Thanks for packaging lxd. On a quick look the packaging seems
> > > fine.
> >
> >  Thank you for taking a look!
> >

> > > When trying to install it, I got this error. Which package should
> > > ship
> > > these files?
> > >
> > > dpkg: error processing archive
> > > /home/pravi/forge/go-team/lxd-client_5.0.0-1_amd64.deb (--
> > > unpack):
> > >  trying to overwrite '/usr/share/bash-
> > > completion/completions/lxc',
> > > which is also in package lxc 1:4.0.11-1
> > > dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken
> > > pipe)
> >
> >  Michael Jeanson initially noticed that the LXD packaging wasn't
> > properly naming its bash completion file [1]; the `lxc` completion
> > file
> > should be shipped by the lxd package, and the `lxc-*` completion
> > files
> > should be shipped by lxc. (I know, it's kind of confusing how
> > upstream
> > made that decision, but that's how things are.) At the moment, the
> > lxc
> > package is symlinking its bash completions to /usr/share/bash-
> > completion/completions/lxc, which is then causing the filename
> > conflict
> > with the LXD packaging. I submitted bug #1010843, which has been
> > fixed
> > in the upstream lxc, so right now I'm just waiting for an updated
> > lxc
> > package to be released (either when a new lxc is released, or
> > cherry-
> > picking that fix into the current packaged version).
>
> Thanks, once it is released, we should add a Breaks: lxc (<<
> fixed_version) in lxc-clients package.

  ACK.

> This will also limit how much I can test this package.

  You should be able to install the lxd packages on a sid system, so
long as the "lxc" package isn't installed, since LXD's only lxc package
dependencies are liblxc-common and liblxc1. Of course, if you're
actually using lxc on the same system that won't be a viable
workaround, and you'll have to wait for an updated lxc to be packaged
with that fix.