Re: cvs commit to glibc-package/debian by gotom

At Sat, 15 Mar 2003 02:53:57 +1000,
Anthony Towns wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:34:50PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > > Pointing to someone doing something wrong previously doesn't prove
> > > anything.
> > OK, but what is the difference to send mail to
> > bugs-done@bugs.debian.org with "This is already fixed in 2.3.1-14"?
>
> A changelog is for changes; if you didn't make a change between -14 and
> -15, it shouldn't go in -15's changelog.

ok.

> Also, a mail to -done now will close the bug immediately (which is correct,
> since the bug is already fixed), whereas an entry in the changelog will only
> take affect once the package is uploaded (causing unnecessary delay).
>
> Someday, we'll eventually be storing the "fixed-in" version of the
> package for each bug, and when that happens, using the changelog will
> be out and out wrong, so it's a bad habit to get into.
>
> (On the other hand, there's an argument for adding a note in the changelog
> if you missed mentioning a change _entirely_ in a previous version;
> but hopefully you shouldn't be doing that at all. I'm not sure what
> happened here)

Hmm, in such case, I think adding it into the previous version entry
with a note is appropriate like:

> diff changelog.old changelog.new

   * foo is fixed (Closes: #xxxxxx).
+    note: this bug is xxxx, so yyyy, then zzzz (2003-03-22).

BTW, I welcome "delayed close" version which close the bug after 10
days delay like package DELAYED queue.  There are a lot of bugs which
have been left alone for a long time - and I mail them but they don't
often reply.  Some bugs are not happened on my machine (or my
mistake), so contacting submitter is sometimes important to check the
bug, especially for glibc and hardware touched packages (ex: "My PPC
is sometimes crashed because cacheline is not purged well" seems being
fixed but needs to confirm).

Regards,
-- gotom