[Freedombox-discuss] Shaddi Hasan: Why wireless mesh networks won't save us from censorship

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 04:30:07PM -0800, John Gilmore wrote:
> [This is why I advocate that our devices include multiple Ethernet ports,
> so that we can run an Ethernet to our neighbor to build our own local
> networks, rather than relying on wireless connectivity.  --gnu]

60 GHz consumer wireless should come 2012, which with well-aligned
parabol sat dish boosting should be good for ~km LoS and have
negligible costs in comparison to today's 60 GHz gear yet give
you about ~GBit/s worth of link which will only go down in
heavy rain or snow.

Copper is cheap enough but for inter-building connectivity
I would very much recommend to use fiber due to galvanic
separation. Apparently it's possible to buy ready to use
~100 m and more fiber patch cables and consumer priced L2
(and soon L3, according to what I see in China) switches
with GBIC (SFP and SFP+) ports. The optics itself is affordable
enough, e.g. via Netgear.

The fiber Thunderbolt will make it cheaper still.