Re: a "fonts-recommended" metapackage?

Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2019, 02:56 +0100 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> one or both of urw-base35 or texgyre should go in, let's have it/them in

Just one of them, please. I am all for alternative dependencies. It
doesn't help anyone if we install two fonts that serve the same purpose
and thus look nearly identical.

For example, libreoffice recommends both fonts-linuxlibertine and
fonts-sil-gentium-basic - and while both are without doubt high quality
fonts, they may appear (excuse my words) as just the third and forth
Times clone to the untrained eye.

As an anecdote, when I was about to finish my dissertation, I wasn't
sure if I should print it in Adobe Utopia or Bitstream Charter. So I
prepared samples of both and showed them to some (non-nerdy and non
font-affine) friends and family. Their replies, from all of them, were
like "It's all Times, so what?!"

> fonts-freefont: sure, it's a very widespread font, with 41% total popcon.
> OTF version takes less space at same quality, so it's an obvious choice.

Yes, although its roman glyphs are based on the same Ghostscript fonts
that fonts-urw-base35 and fonts-texgyre are built upon.

> Not sure if you guys would prefer going for a "core fonts" or merely
> "recommended" list.  The latter hits my recent use cases; the former could
> be suggested to the d-i team.

We are still missing some decorative fonts. I believe what people
really want apart from the standard serif/sans/mono sets is pendants to
e.g. Brush Script, Papyrus, Comic Sans (yep!) and Impact. Do we have
any recommendable alternatives for these?

 - Fabian