Re: IMQ and Debian Sarge

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:47:25 +0300
Stanislav Nedelchev <stanislav.nedelchev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I have problems applying IMQ patch to debian kernel 2.4.27 i seems to
> be prepatched and I'm unable to patch it .

The Debian kernel source for 2.4.x includes some significant changes to
the networking code (ie. backporting of IPSEC from 2.6), which conflicts
with the IMQ patch. However there is a section headed "Debian
patches" on the IMQ site [0], which I imagine will apply cleanly.

> I'm also trying to patch iptables and after installing it from source
> every time apt-get wants to replace it.

Installing packages from source is not recommended unless you
use "PREFIX=/usr/local". Once you break apt's synchronicity with the
file system, you are opening yourself up to all sort of problems.

I suggest building your own custom Debian package [1], which is
reasonably simple. Alternatively, I maintain a personal Debian
repository [2] which includes an iptables package built with IMQ and
Layer 7 support (iptables+imq+l7).

Be aware that my packages are built from unstable sources, and will
require backporting to run on stable. Adding the deb-src line to your
sources.list and running:

apt-get update && apt-get source iptables+imq+l7

should get you started.

Hope this helps,

--Adam

[0] http://www.linuximq.net/patches.html