Re: man-in-the-middle

--- Lord-Storm <cullanthony@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:20 pm, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 October 2004 23:03, Lord-Storm wrote:
> > > I belive you want it to act as a router?
> >
> > Yes, basically.  The routing isn't so much the problem, but making the
> box
> > in the middle look like the "other" box to either windows boxes is
> what I'm
> > stuck at.   My iptables and routing skills aren't very good though.
> >
> > > or use squid?
> >
> > It's not for web traffic.  It's software running on the two windows
> macines
> > that has to communicate through each other but not directly.  (the
> what
> > exactly and why I don't know unfortunately)
> >
> > Can squid forward any type of connection on any port transparently?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Kind regards
> > Hans du Plooy
> > Newington Consulting Services
> > hansdp at newingtoncs dot co dot za
> Well acording to SYBEX security complete you can make squid the
> middleman for
> a ssl nfs.

Sorry, squid uses NFS for remote storage.  This is not like being an NFS
server, that a client could connect to.  Since there is no way for a
client to connect, how would squid know it should connect to a server if
it even could?  If there's a patch or hack, I don't think debian will be
shiping it in the squid package.

> A good set of forums would be www.neworder.box.sk follow links.
> Note: this site is full of script kiddys and that so stand out.
> Include the same name man in the middle since that is the discription
> best
> used. eg man in the middle attack/exploits.. though this subject is more
> do with encryption. I myself have only just started to learn iptables.

This site dosen't talk about routing or networking, at least not this
topic.

> I hope this information helps you and please post back into the list so
> your
> question/answer is archived.

I'm sure it is helpfull, thank you all for contributing.