Re: how to block these?

On Fri May 09, 2003 at 12:0119PM -0300, Wcom wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have some problems in my lan environment. most of my clients using  kazaa
> or overnet to dowmload mp3 and mpg files. These progams eating most of my
> small bandwidth so can i put some rules to "block" these kazaa and other p2p
> program ?

You can add filter rules that prevent kazaa and other p2p software from
connection to the outside, but you have to be aware that this will end
in a competition between your users and you. We had something similar
here (at university) with first person shooters. They blocked a range of
ports, and a few days later, the people relocated the services to other
ports, and I fear the same might happen to you.

You don't tell about your environment, but probably it is possible to
forbid this by some order, perhaps some extension to the contract
between you and your users, your employer and the employees or something
similar.

The nature of this problem is social and not technical, so you have to
solve it socially, and not technically

--
Michael Bergbauer <michael@noname.franken.de>
use your idle CPU cycles - See http://www.distributed.net for details.