Re: Firewall for IIS using virtual servers? 2nd

Find /WINNT/System32/drivers/etc/hosts –file

Yes the file IS without an extension…

Add a line to the hosts file with your IIS IP and the preferred hostname… Like this…

192.168.0.2            your.virtual.host.org

The problem is that IIS tries to lookup your virtual host with your DNS server which in this case most propably is external … But Linux firewall denies access from inet with your internal lan IP.. so your IIS doesn’t see itself..

Now when we hardcode all this to the hosts file, the IIS bypasses this DNS check, and uses the hardcoded IP instead…

Cons for this procedure is, that if your firewall stops functioning for some odd reason, you’ll be still able to access your sites from internal LAN, but your visitors won’t.. So you become blind to the fact whether your clients are able to access your virtual hosts or not…

This hardcoded IP-domain name, should speed up even your server.. that’s what my common sense tells me.. so why not give it a try.. but you need a way to keep aware if the ppl are able to connect from outside 8)

Jani Hyytiäinen