firewall and ip-masquerading

Hi,

I want to set up a firewall and ip-masquerading on my linux-box. I have
the potato install, with the regular kernel. From what I can see, I am
missing some parts in the kernel to be able to do ip-masquerading
properly. When running netconf I was told so, and also while doing:

ipchains -L -n

I got the following error message:
ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel

My questions are:

1) where do I find the information on how to compile (and install) a
regular kernel with support for ip-masquerading ? (Or could any of you
please provide me with the information needed?)

2) What is the chance of success for a first-timer?

Thanks,
Runar