From: Phill Kenoyer [mailto:phill@kenoyer.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 1:15 PM
To: Debian Firewall List
Subject: Blocking Ports from showing up in scans

I have a small masq/web server on a DSL.  I would like to make it a bit more
secure.  Its a default install of debian.  I have nfs and samba running for
my workstations to have access to the box.  I have most things turned off
like telnet and ftp.  What I would like to do is block a few ports from the
outside, but keep them for the local net.  I dont really want to learn
ipchains, because I dont have the time right now.  I've very busy, and I
would just like to do my work, but an example of how to do this would teach
me a great deal.  I have not found anything on web searches that would build
the rules for me, that would run on a server without X installed.  If anyone
is willing to do the rules for me, I would really be happy.  Thanks.

eth0 is 10.0.0.1, private
eth1 is public.

My private network is using 10.0.0.x.

ip_masq deb is installed.

I have the following ports open on my server.  I have marked with * the ones
that I want to close off to the outside, and have them not show up in a port
scan.

(The 1505 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
53/tcp     open        domain