Re: ICMP Forward

q9405096@brampton.cqu.edu.au wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 09:27:32AM +0000, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> > [snip, paraphrase]
> >
> > it seems to send ICMP redirect messages to the originating machines
> > telling them to use 192.168.0.2.
> >
> > ... can I stop this behaviour?
>
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/(all|eth0)/send_redirects

will that cause the machine to forward all the packets itself? I'm not
100% on what the redirect does (i.e. is it temporary/permanent). If it
just tells the originating machine to use the ISDN router *for the
current connection attempt* then that's fine. I just don't want a
situation where machines are using the ISDN router by *default* and
bringing the line up during the day.

Thanks,

Gareth