Re: minimal mail config for firewall?

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 10:03:35AM -0400, Paul Reavis wrote:
> > Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> > >
> > > You are probably looking for ssmtp
> >
> > What about mail addressed to root? Is it simply forwarded to
> > root@mailhub? This sounds OK to me - I can hardcode the destination
> > mailhub and feel reasonably good about things, barring packet sniffers
> > on my internal network or a compromised mailhub.
>
> I have no idea.. I have never used it.. just remembered the Description
>
> good luck
>
> Marcin

<snip>

I just installed it on a machine that wasn't yet fully installed and this
is the only configuration of ssmtp (/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf):

#
# /etc/ssmtp.conf -- a config file for sSMTP sendmail.
#
# The person who gets all mail for userids < 10
root=postmaster
# The place where the mail goes. The actual machine name is required
# no MX records are consulted. Commonly mailhosts are named
mail.domain.com
# The example will fit if you are in domain.com and you mailhub is so
named.
mailhub=mail
# Where will the mail seem to come from?
#rewriteDomain=someplacenotconnetedtotheinternet.nl
# The full hostname
hostname=someplacenotconnetedtotheinternet.nl

--

I think this would make it clear enough (no I have not tested it yet, I
don't have the ability right now).

And this was taken from the /usr/doc/ssmtp/README.Debian:

ssmtp for DEBIAN
----------------

This is a secure, minimal mail sender.

This is basically a package that is abandoned. I have fixed it up so that
it works under Debian/GNU. Do not expect any upstream upgrades.

There is one configureation file in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf where all
parameters
are set.

Header size is limited to 4K. Do not try any mass mailings with this
package. Moreover the number of recipients is limited to 100.

sSMTP also supports reverse aliases if the file /etc/ssmtp/revaliases is
present. See ssmtp(8) for details.

Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>, Thu, 22 May 1997 22:18:24 -0700
Last modified:
Hugo Haas <hugo@debian.org>, Sat, 4 Apr 1998 00:59:53 +0100

--

So it does have limits (this was taken from current Debian stable !).

hope this helps,
	Lennie.

New things are always on the horizon.