Re: insserv nonsense breaking multistrap in Squeeze

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:54:32 +0100
Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:

> >Looks like multistrap is going to have to run multiple configure runs,
> >based on the Priority: setting of the packages.
> >
> >That's doable.

It's not do-able. It leads to a world of pain because the packages
listed as Priority: foo are not a complete set that dpkg can configure
in one call. dpkg essentially has two modes for configure - specific
packages listed, dpkg obeys the strict order you specify or just
configure everything with -a and dpkg works out the best order but now
that breaks with netbase because dpkg tries to configure it before
initscripts. That's the real problem.

> Seems to me that even if done through some debian-embedded custom
> routine, the interfaces used to interact with dpkg is still valid
> Debian, so the issue might still be interesting for Petter (who, I
> believe, is insserv maintainer) to improve on, to not ever cause such
> scary error messages - even if solvable by running dpkg-reconfigre
> twice.

I'm not sure where the bug lies, still. I don't think insserv is to
blame.

dpkg should be able to work out that netbase must come after
initscripts but how is dpkg meant to know that?

I can't just collect all the package names, omit 'netbase' and then
pass the strings back as one because the *order* of those package names
becomes declarative.

--

Neil Williams