Re: dpkg-checkbuilddeps wrapper for dpkg-cross, round 2

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 12:23:21AM +0300, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> Recently, while thinking about build-depends problems we are all
> familar with, I came up with the following idea: what if all of the
> packages we intend to cross-compile would have a special control-like
> file in debian/, which would have build-depends in a way we need them,
> that is, Host-Build-Depends for those packages that should be present
> on host as is (such as flex, bison, whatever), and
> Target-Build-Depends for those packages that should be present on host
> dpkg-crossed.

Howabout having this information in the build-depending package itself?
ie. in the bison control file there would by:

XBS-Host-Build-Dependable: yes

and the dpkg-checkbuilddeps would use this this field to determine
crosscompilability from that field. I think it would make more sense
to have the field in the tools instead of the packages to compiled.
Having "X-Host-Build-Depends: bison" in every package that uses
bison is duplication of effort.

> Disadvantages: this is not a real control file. Thus, for example,
> those fields will not be present in .dsc, and, as a consequence, all
> of the package building tools except those that call
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps would not notice those fields (sbuild, apt-get
> build-dep, etc.).

This is a bug in our system, there should be one canonical place all
tools could query for build dependencies.

> While this can easily be fixed patching dpkg-dev, I am not sure what
> else will break finding unusual fields in .dsc, and this will also
> introduce YADI (Yet Another Debian Incompatibility) which I'm not that
> happy about.

Fields starting the "X-" are available for custom fields for this very
purpose. See http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s5.7

Cheers,
Riku