Re: mh-e for emacs-snapshot and icon images directory

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:

> Another reason for putting the images directly in etc/images is that it
> simplifies the Debian package configuration. Currently, Peter adds the
> etc/images/mh-e directory to the load-path for Emacs 21 and
> image-load-path (new) in Emacs 22. If the images were in etc/images
> directly, and the MH-E library was in
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mh-e/lisp, then our code would find the image
> directory automatically (like Gnus).

Not quite, unless we change the code.

First, the packaged mh-e.el is found in:

 /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el

(It seemed silly to add a "lisp" directory unless other packages start
doing so as well, so I kept the old directory.)

Second, the byte-compiled mh-e.elc is in:

 /usr/share/EMACSFLAVOR/site-lisp/mh-e/mh-e.elc

So the issue of where to place images is a bit more complicated.

(Thanks for participating to the discussion Bill!)

Peter