Re: x-symbol package dangerous in multibyte environment

Thanks for quick answer.

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002  Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> wrote:

> Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> > Are you on the debian-emacsen list?
>
> Ok, I'm on it now.  Can you please send me a copy of the
> files that demonstrate the problem?  And a description of
> what happens.

I send it separately.

> Also, the best way to bring a bug to the attention of the
> Debian package maintainer is to file a bug report.

OK

> There
> is a "reportbug" package that should help you out in the
> process.

Do I remember correctly that there is also an Emacs interface to the
bug tracking system?

[...]

> >> * their system does not have the locale command
>
> > The LaTeX commands should be sufficient for a LaTeX documents.
>
> The locale command is in the libc6 package. (In unstable, at least.)

In stable, too. However, I don't think it is relevant. Installing
x-symbol should not force users to use locale if they didn't need it
before.

> >> * they don't read the warnings issued by X-Symbol (OK, it's a bit
> >>   hidden with Emacs < 21.4).
>
> > GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (from a Debian package) gives no warning at all.
>
> We really should add a system like XEmacs' warning system to
> emacs.

No comments, as I don't know XEmacs.

> >> * they don't read carefully the installation instruction while using
> >>   beta software.
>
> > The x-symbol is a package from the stable Woody Debian GNU/Linux
> > distribution. One does not read installation instruction when
> > installing a Debian package.
>
> FWIW, the package description does state: "Emacs21 support is still BETA".

My apology - I missed this notice.

> >>As I said, probably next week.  BTW, you are allowed to send patches.
>
> > I can test the corrected Debian package.
>
> Once the issues are reported to me in detail, I'll address them in
> unstable, and then we can decide what to do with stable.

OK

Best regards

Janusz

--