Re: [report] "gateway" installation for amd64 dual NIC machine using 2019-05-13 image.

Hi hoxp18,

thanks for your impressive report.

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:33:01AM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:
> Even networking.service is still "failed" in "gateway",

Just ignore the message. This is due to /etc/network/if-up.d/hostname
not working in this setup (other DHCP server).

> Review: DS77U as a "gateway" hardware
> =====================================
>
> BTW, now I confirmed the "Shuttle DS77U" can boot headless.
>
> No display, no keyboard, only two ethernet cables (and a power cable).
>
> I shutdown it, then booted again. It works as "gateway".
>
> I did a simple benchmark on it, too.
>
>  first@tjener$ dd if=/dev/random of=junk bs=1K count=100K
>  104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 37.2854 s, 2.8 MB/s
>  first@tjener$ scp junk user@my_local_proxy:~/
>  junk                                          100% 100MB 56.8MB/s 00:01
>
> 56MB/sec seems not so bad, since I use a cheap gigabit L2 switch
> with cheap CAT6 UTP cables.
>
> Network Topology:
>
>  Internet - router - L2 - "gateway" - L2 - "tjener"
>                      + Apt-Cacher and Squid (my_local_proxy above)
>                        (and other machines)
>
> I think this tiny solid box is useful as a Linux router, as a "gateway".

Interesting!

> Some notes
> ==========
>
> * I removed "xserver-xorg-video-intel" and Firefox in "tjener"
>   can smoothly play videos, both in window and full screen.
>   (since I use Kaby Lake.)
>
> * lm-sensors seems fine; after sensors-detect, it reads CPU temps.
>   My "tjener" M/B has onboard temp display, so I think I confirmed
>   the values are correct.
>
> Perhaps those kind of reports be sent as installation-reports,
> including "gateway" (after I create some reportbug user account on it.)

Yes.

> Japanese env comments
> ======================
>
> It seems Japanese input method editors are available in
> both uim-anthy and mozc. They work.
>
> For UI fonts, Xfce uses VLGothic, a fine and "cute-style" Japanese font.
> As an educational purpose, it is a nice choice, I think.
>
> Apps such like Firefox, LibreOffice, and even Scratch has Japanese
> translations. Some others edu related has almost translated.

Good to have this feedback.

> GOsa2 has no Japanese translation; but it might be nice not to,
> since it's about admin tasks with special technical terms.
>
> * To be honest, I have no idea about translations
>   for those important terms in GOsa2, such like "base".
>
> * I'm not familiar with LDAP and Kerberos, too.

Maybe in both cases you'll get a better impression if you try to
customize things along with reading the manual.

> Finally I got my isolated physical Edu test env. Now I'm very happy.

:)

Wolfgang