Re: Hard to read new paragraph in man page deb-origin

Hi!

On Sat, 2022-10-08 at 18:14:38 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> while updating the German man page translation I could not really
> understand one paragraph, could you explain it more verbosely?

Hmm, then that probably means the English text needs to be rewritten
or improved. Ok let me try first to explain here somewhat, and then I
can try to update the man page:

> "The file should be named according to the vendor name.  The usual convention "
> "is to name the vendor file using the vendor name in all lowercase, but some "
> "variation is permitted.  Namely, non-alphanumeric characters (‘B<[^A-Za-"
> "z0-9]>’) are mapped to dashes (‘B<->’),

> and lower-cased, as-is, lower-cased "
> "then capitalized and capitalized (since dpkg 1.21.10).

This means that the code will try the following combinations, after
having remapped the non-alphanum chars:

  lower-cased:                  aA-bB%Some OS → aa-bb-some-os
  as-is:                        aA-bB%Some OS → aA-bB-Some-OS
  lower-cased and capitalized:  aA-bB%Some OS → Aa-bb-some-os
  capitalized:                  aA-bB%Some OS → AA-bB-Some-OS

> In addition, for "
> "historical and backwards compatibility, the above casing attempts will be "
> "tried first as-is with no remapping, and then by remapping spaces to dashes "
> "(‘B<->’). But these will be removed during the dpkg 1.22.x release cycle."

This means they will be tried then first w/o remapping as follows:

  lower-cased:                  aA-bB%Some OS → aa-bb%some os
  as-is:                        aA-bB%Some OS → aA-bB%Some OS
  lower-cased and capitalized:  aA-bB%Some OS → Aa-bb%some os
  capitalized:                  aA-bB%Some OS → AA-bB%Some OS

And subsequently by only remapping spaces to dashes:

  lower-cased:                  aA-bB%Some OS → aa-bb%some-os
  as-is:                        aA-bB%Some OS → aA-bB%Some-OS
  lower-cased and capitalized:  aA-bB%Some OS → Aa-bb%some-os
  capitalized:                  aA-bB%Some OS → AA-bB%Some-OS

Was the problem with just the "as-is" or how the formulation of casing
is listed?

Thanks,
Guillem