Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Martin Wuertele <maxx@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi dE!
>
> * dE . <de.techno@gmail.com> [2010-01-05 12:13]:
>
>> The developers and administrators will have to understand my point.
>>
>> This is the only reason why people refuse to install any Linux OS. I
>> really don't have an answer to these simple windows users when they
>> say "what about offline software installation?". Now I cant explain
>> them technical procedures to it, they'll happily reject it.
>
> As "simple" as with windows: get the CD/DVD.

Humm...I really don't know what exactly do you mean...can you please elaborate?

>> Security and size problems of super deb packages will always be there
>> with such packages, this is a major disadvantage, but considering
>> super deb packages will remove this major drawback with Linux...it
>> think it's worth it.
>
> You can build any Package statically linked which pretty much is the
> same as Windows applications. However this introduces the security
> nightmare Windows has: 10 installed programs have 10 different versions
> of libraries statically linked and if a bug is found in the library
> you're mostly left alone as some vendors will provide an update, some
> won't and you can not be sure that all 10 applications are either fixed
> or the version they have statically linked doesn't bear the security
> bug.

No, this is not I meant by super deb packages...I mean a single
'sdebp' package will contain many deb packages which are possible
dependencies of the main package to be installed.

This is just a small modification to dpkg to support these sdepb
packages...what it will do on installing this sdebp package is -
1) unpack this sdebp package to extract all deb packages contained in
it in the apt cache folder.
2) Run apt with the no-download switch on the meta package which is a
part of this sdepb package (the meta package can be specified in the
sdebp package itself). This will simply result in installation of the
meta package and will require no downloading since all dependencies
(relative to an OS) are previously present.

>> If this system is made to commence, all people who have refused to
>> install Linux is cause of it's packaging system (IMO, to all people
>> who have rejected so far under my knowledge) will have no problems
>> installing it. They don't have problems with root folder, nor the
>> mount system...they only have problems with this."
>
> I doubt's that's a huge number and that their arguments are based on
> good arguments. It's quite a task to keep a Windows system secure with
> all the (montly) updates without Internet connection and when you buy
> new peripherals (e.g. printers, scanners) and you happen to run XP you
> most likely want to dump the driver shipped with the hardware and get
> the curent one via Internet.

In a few nations an internet connection is not that popular. With
windows you can just download the updates, click and install...this is
an alternative way to automatic updates.

Doing this manually with deb package is impossible...with these sdebp
packages, you can pack a certain set of updates and just click on it
to run gdebi to upgrade...this will at least upgrade some packages if
not all.