Re: Plans for Lenny's install-info

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 05:04:57PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Have you considered whether the new dpkg triggers feature currently
> being discussed in another thread in debian-dpkg might be helpful ?
> It's intended to be used for this kind of thing.  Of course you may
> prefer to press ahead without waiting for it.

Yes.

I read your proposals with install-info in mind, but did not comment.
I did not see any problems in your specifications for this use case. And
the install-info use case should be one of the simplest (file trigger).

I only made a short note on triggers in the plan for install-info mostly
because I don't know when it will be available.

Depending on the planned date for triggers, it may be worth delaying the
install-info transition (this would avoid a second transition; and this
could be used as a first test for triggers).
The transition could even be more transparent with triggers since:
 * dpkg's install-info would do nothing
 * If texinfo is installed:
   + texinfo's install-info would do nothing if it detects a dpkg's
     install-info call.
   + texinfo's install-info would just install the info file (with the
     given options)
   + the trigger will install the info if texinfo is installed, and fix
     the dir file at the end (no options used)

Most part of the transition can be dealt with before we decide whether
packages should call update-info-dir, or just install the info files and
let the trigger do the job.

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral