Re: Proposal new source archive format

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:
> But I can't see what managing Debian modifications/patches has got
> to do with our source package format.  That should be left to
> whatever source management systems that our maintainers use.

Patches are more likely to be accepted upstream if they're not one big
lump---so it is an aide to those Debian maintainers who contribute
significant bug-fixes and such upstream if they can keep patches
separate.

When I was porting netbase/netstd to the Alpha, I suspect it would
have been nice, since they were aggregate packages, but just about
every single sub-package needed mods, so being able to break out each
sub-package's patches would have made it easier for the primary
maintainer.

Mike.