Re: Any discussion of replacing MoinMoin?

On 2023-06-05 10:53, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-06-04 at 05:45 +0000, Martin wrote:
>> To me, the most desperately missing feature is having wiki content in a
>> VCS, such as git. I like to work on documentation like on code.
>
> This is a different kind of wiki to what Franklin and Kamaraju are used
> to; MediaWiki is backed by a database instead of a VCS and has solely
> web based editing with all the edit features provided by browsers and
> JavaScript instead of local software.

To the best of my knowledge (almost nothing, TBH) at least one of the
three, gollum, has an in-browser editor, too. Probably a good thing to
have, e.g. for smaller edits, corrections, etc.

For larger edits, I very much prefer using well-known tools such as
(ma)git, (e)diff. Esp. if multiple pages are involved and should be in
one commit.

>> I'm not sure, which wiki software does work that way.
> IIRC MoinMoin 2.x has an option for this. Steve McIntyre planned on
> working on packaging it for Debian so that we can switch to it later.

Nice!