Re: buster and the release notes

On Sat 04 May 2019 at 14:14:38 +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:

> On Fri 03 May 2019 at 22:01:23 +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:
>
> > 5) in whats-new.dbk there isn't much exiting for buster. Don't we have
> > nice new things?
>
> Developments in CUPs and cups-filters bring easy and trouble-free setup
> for modern IPP printers. Non-free printer drivers and plugins bite the
> dust!
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueuesCUPS

Text for the Release Notes, if it helps:

Debian 10.x.x provides CUPS 2.2.10 and cups-filters 1.21.6. Both give a
user everything that is needed to take advantage of driverless printing
(https://wiki.debian.org/DriverlessPrinting). The principal requirement
is that a network print queue or printer offers an AirPrint service. A
modern IPP printer is highly likely to be AirPrint-capable; a Debian
CUPS print queue is always AirPrint-enabled.

In essence, the DNS-SD (Bonjour) broadcasts done by a CUPS server
advertising a queue, or those from IPP printers, are capable of being
displayed in the print dialogs of applications without any action being
required on the part of a user. An additional benefit is that the use
of non-free vendor printing drivers and plugins can be dispensed with.

A default installation of the cups package also installs the package
cups-browsed; print queues and IPP printers will now be automatically
set up and managed by this utility. This is the recommended way
(https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueuesCUPS) for a user to experience
seamless and trouble-free driverless printing.

NOTE: cups-browsed isn't actually needed; CUPS should be sufficient. But
bugs in GTK and Qt applications foul things up. Hence the recommendation.

--
Brian.