Re: Quick reference (First web pages build, what's next?)

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 11:11:18AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Thank you for letting me upload "Quick Reference".  It is almost 1MB of
> > > SGML codes in en, fr, it locales.
> >
> > And you call that "quick"? :)
>
> That is the biggest headache for me.  I wanted a 30 page document but
> ended up with 100 pages. Most topics are covered in 1 to 2 screens on
> VT-100 or 1 page on paper.  Topics can be big topics, such as, how to
> compile a new kernel or how to upgrade APT from potato to woody while
> setting /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/sources.list.  So it is
> "quick" in this sense.

Well, perhaps just "Debian Reference" would be suitable. It's really not
quick if it's got a larger index than some other documents have contents :)

> > > This is an administrator and/or user manual.
> >
> > Yes, and it should be branded as such, and replace the past attempts.
>
> Thanks but mine is just a "quick reference".  This should not supersede
> any good descriptive manuals.

I said attempts, not good descriptive manuals <shrug> What we currently have
is quite inferior.

> Informative documents for specific topics:
> * Debian META Manual

Oh, I didn't know this was being updated. It seems as if it replaces the
www.debian.org/doc/ddp pages, and I don't see much point in that...
And the name "META Manual" is bad, most people won't understand what's it
about it instantly.

> Questionable contents:
>   --- Keep these just as archives and no links from front pages:

I'd prefer to keep them listed but clearly marked as bad.

> ? The Debian Linux User's Guide:
>   HTML only and unreachable.  If reachable, it may be nice 200+ page
>   document.  Is this DSFG compliant licensing?

Yeah, someone also reported it's missing. Try asking Dale?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.