Re: Policy: should libraries depend on services (daemons) that they can speak to?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 19:59:22 +0100, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> Just today I had a case where I was building something innocent and suddenly I
> had an init system installed because:
>
> libgtk-3-dev -> libgtk-3-common -> dconf-gsettings-backend -> dconf-service \
>   -> dbus-session-bus -> dbus-user-session -> libpam-systemd -> systemd-sysv
>
> I'm sure all of these packages have a very good reason to depend on the next
> one in the chain

Yes they do, you have rediscovered
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2019/08/msg00278.html as mentioned
earlier in the thread.

Back in 2019, I felt that the project was demanding that I must find a way
to break that dependency chain, so I proposed a debhelper patch, which
was rejected. If this dependency chain is particularly objectionable to
you, please consider revisiting #934893 and advocating it better than I
was able to. One of the problems with feeling obliged to do work that I,
personally, don't believe is the right thing is that I'm never going to be
very effective at convincing others that they should accept that change.

    smcv