Re: RFC: advise against using Proton Mail for Debian work?

Hello,

I completely agree with you and many others on that regard. A private key is private, and shall not be stored in a server where multiple users might access to and open to internet, which can be compromised.

Doing this makes the attack surface substantially larger, and given the target is important enough, makes the server target of more sophisticated attacks which might be harder to detect.

> It has been suggested that I'm a bit paranoid for stating that putting my
> private key on a microsoft server renders the signature with that key
> completely meaningless.

Given that Microsoft lost their private keys allowing anyone to sign login tokens, stayed silent for so long on the matter, not giving private keys to Microsoft is a wise choice.

As a result, a general policy change disallowing private keys to be stored in these remote systems is a welcome addition from my PoV.

Cheers,

H.