Re: /usr/-only image

On 10/09/23 22:42, Russ Allbery wrote:
Luca Boccassi <luca.boccassi@gmail.com> writes:
It is being slowly worked towards, but we are still at the prerequisites
at this time. Hopefully we'll have some usable experiments for the
Trixie timeline, but nothing definite yet.

Just to make this explicit, one of the prerequisites that has not yet
happened is for Debian to agree that this is even something that we intend
to do.

An even bigger prerequisite is that many upstream projects does not yet support working without /etc or (orthogonally) reading their default configuration from /usr.

In my personal experience I found that working directly with upstream projects on supporting stateless installs (no /etc, no /var) and factory-resets (the system keeps working after `rm -Rf /etc /var`) has a better return in investment compared to trying to integrate Debian- or distro-specific patches.

Perhaps a more approachable goal for Debian towards statelessness is to reach the point where no packages ship files in /var. That is often a matter of passing the right parameters to `dh_auto_configure`.

Regards,

--
Gioele Barabucci