Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

Hi,

Quoting John Goerzen (2023-08-13 23:32:03)
> On Sat, Aug 05 2023, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > I wonder what we should do, because 5000+ failing packages is a lot...
> Let's think about the level of trouble we cause trying to tackle something
> that has clearly not bothered anyone for years.

this is not the first time that is has been said in this thread that "this
hasn't bothered anybody for years". I wanted to come out and say that it has
bothered me. It just hasn't bothered me enough to investigate what the proper
way to solve it is. It hasn't bothered me enough to bother other people with
this issue. After all, I can just run "git clean -fdx" to "solve" the problem
whenever it happens.

Lucas filed bugs against three of my packages. Since I didn't know how to
properly solve this issue and since this thread exists I finally felt it was
time to ask my fellow DDs how to fix this and I'll be happy to upload packages
with this problem fixed.

Thank you Lucas for doing this work!

> Personally, I'm a volunteer.  I have X amount of time to devote to Debian.
> I work on Debian because I enjoy it.  It is satisfying!

I'm also just a volunteer doing this in my free time as my hobby because I find
it fun. I can totally understand how fixing this can be anything but fun for
others and I do not want to invalidate your opinion on this. But as this thread
has a number of people saying how they don't find this useful and how they
don't find fixing this fun, I wanted to write a message with my very different
view on the subject. I cannot tell you exactly why but my *feeling* is that I'm
very happy that Lucas filed bugs against three of my packages and I will
personally find it fun to upload a version that fixes them. I understand that
there are many who do not think like that and I understand that it's worth
discussing the practical benefit of it all. But I for one am happy that these
bugs were filed and I will have fun closing them with a fix.

Thanks!

cheers, josch