Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

Hi Marc,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:58:46AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> My gut feeling is that we are wasting prescious time of numerous
> skilled Debian Developers to find ugly workarounds to something that
> should be done in dpkg, but isnt being done because one dpkg
> maintainer has decided to not go the way the project has decided to
> go.

I find this mail of yours very disappointing and possibly even failing
our Code of Conduct on multiple accounts.

The origin of this thread was a proposal to adapt dpkg. Your mail
appears to imply that you are in favour of that approach. Yet, you
describe this as wasting time. Can you redirect your energy at reviewing
DEP 17 and thus building consensus instead?

I would also like to remind you of constitution section 2.1.1. Clearly,
Guillem does not like the approach Debian has chosen and chooses to not
implement the necessary changes. However, nobody else has done so
either. The closest thing to a working patch is what Simon Richter did
and even he does not consider it ready for inclusion at the time of this
writing. As such, I find the implied accusation disrespectful.

> This inability to find consensus, to take decisions, accept and follow
> them is one of the most central problems that Debian has.

This thread precisely is about finding consensus about a way to move
forward. We evaluate multiple different approaches to contain the
necessary complexity in parallel. I think this is fine. Your
contribution to this process is not constructive. Please reconsider your
involvement in this debate.

Helmut