Re: Help required to determine why some packages are being installed

Hi David, and thanks for your thorough reply and explanation!

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 12:15:01PM +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> To refine this: apt¹ picks the first alternative which is either:
> 1. already installed and satisfying as is
> 2. already installed, but needs an upgrade to satisfy
> 3. not installed, but can (may) be and would satisfy
>
> [...]

That was my understanding as well (and what you wrote below too).

> That said, I find it a bit odd that only libqt5gui5-gles conflicts with
> libqt5gui5. I doubt it will help apt, but it seems more honest to also
> have the reverse. Fun fact: having it only on one side actually gives
> the one having it a scoring advantage in apts conflict resolution, so
> for apt it reads in fact like -gles is the preferred package of the
> two making it less likely that apt holds back libqt5gui5. In practice
> other score points should level the playing field for libqt5gui5 though.
> (At least on my system more things depend on it than -gles provides).

Thanks for the suggestion! Having the reverse doesn’t hurt of course, so
I have just added it in [1] and will include in the next upload. Let’s see
if it makes things any better.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/qt-kde-team/qt/qtbase/-/commit/4064bf01d808094d

--
Dmitry Shachnev