Re: Integration with systemd

On Oct 31, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:

> However, a lot of our software comes from the BSD world and will never
> fully switch to systemd, and that software is often used in server contexts
> by people who know exactly what they are doing. I don't see why we
> shouldn't support these people anymore, especially as they are the ones who
> cannot be served equally well by other distributions.
Because by using systemd features in the Debian packaging we make better
packages: simpler to maintain and more robust.

(And then everything else that Ansgar patiently explained.)

http://www.islinuxaboutchoice.com/

> That is work we have to do regardless of whether we want to support
> alternatives or not, but in the simple case we just list what is supported
> by the systemd version we have decided to ship in the last stable release,
> so we can have backport packages with reasonable effort.
It is not obvious to me why we would need a different policy for systemd
than for other packages which backports may depend on.

> No, and that's not our job. There are a lot of people out there building
> non-systemd systems.
Data says: not really a lot.

--
ciao,