Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 09:31:34AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 11:33:42 +0000, Bill Allombert
<ballombe@debian.org> wrote:
Yesterday I received the same popcon ID 2600 times, and 4700 differents ID were received
two times and 22000 ID were received exactly once.

I understand the need for totally identical systems, but then probably
it does not make sense for them to report to popcon.

Why? Does a node in a cluster count less than a desktop installation?
If so, why do we not value the input of our biggest users while
putting so much focus on installations in a market segment that we're
losing anyway?

I guess the question is what is the point of the popcon statistics. Insofar as they're used to determine defaults, skewing them toward custom images (which likely do not care about defaults) is probably a mistake.