Re: fixing debian-security-support upgrades from stretch (for good)

On May 13, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> So I think this can only be fixed properly (=without asking people to
> upgrade to the latest stretch pointrelease but instead allowing upgrades
> to buster from *any* stretch pointrelease) by adding a "pre-depends:
> debian-security-support (>= 2019.04.25)" to base-files in buster.
I strongly object to adding this package, and its dependency
gettext-base, to the transitive essential set.
There are many situations where this package is not needed (e.g.
containers, where Debian is already quite suboptimal) and it is wrong to
force it on every system because it wastes disk space and may cause
future troubles (and it already doing this now).

This is not acceptable for a package with such a low popcon ranking.

I tried installing it (I had never heard of it before) and I see that it
immediately complains about the version of binutils currently in
unstable, so I also have serious doubts about the usefulness of
a security tool which will always report an alarm.

--
ciao,
Marco