Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Hi,

For one of my packages, I maintain two public git branches: one is
upstream/latest, where I've been importing upstream's released tarballs,
and the other is debian/sid that contains the packaging.

Recently, upstream has finally started using git. What is the
recommended way for me to maintain a sane branch structure for the
packaging repository while starting to use upstream's git master as the
upstream branch to follow?

(My first thought is to track upstream's master as upstream/latest-git
or something, and start merging from that into debian/sid, but I don't
know if there's a better way.)

 Best,
 Gard