Re: gbp import-orig has defeated me [and 1 more messages]

Sean Whitton writes ("Re: gbp import-orig has defeated me [and 1 more messages]"):
> On Tue 02 Oct 2018 at 12:59PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > If these files with cr line endings are a nuisance should probably
> > complain to upstream.  It is highly unusual to provide a tarball
> > containing DOS/Windows-format text files.  In the meantime you'll have
> > to repack the tarball :-/.
>
> I would like to suggest:
>
>     % # clone from salsa
>     % git remote add -f upstream https://github.com/google/googletest
>     % git merge release-1.8.1
>     % dch -v1.8.1-1 New upstream release.
>     % git deborig
>
> i.e. make your own tarball rather than putting in so much effort to use
> exactly the one from upstream.

I had somehow overlooked in this discussion that obviously there would
be a git upstream.  In which case yes, Sean's suggestion is obviously
right.

Going to a lot of effort to reuse (and maybe fix up) a broken tarball
from upstream does seem silly.

Regards,
Ian.