Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

On 08/17/2018 10:52 AM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:27:00AM +0000, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
>> While I understand the simplicity of using $company's cloud storage, I'd
>> rather not rely on some external company and in particular not on this
>> one. This company does not exactly represent what I would call ethical,
>> non-proprietary, and decentralized.
> Is that a problem?
>
>> Are there no partners that would kindly provide such storage to Debian
>> (Gandi?).
> Are they ethical, non-proprietary, and decentralized?

To me, none of the above.

On 08/17/2018 11:30 AM, Yao Wei wrote:
> Still, it is up to their implementation how we can access their
> storage, and as long as we can access it with free software
> (JavaScript stuff could be a pitfall though) it shouldn't be too much
> problem for us.

I very much do not agree with this. The full software stack used by the
provider *MUST* be free as well. I have made a full talk at Debconf
explaining why it is important, I would appreciate if you could have a
look to the video.

On 08/17/2018 03:46 PM, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> I feel like we're currently balancing on a thin cobweb of fait
> accompli.

I very much agree with this, and I kind of feel we're all gamed into
using Salsa, and then it moves to using non-free solutions. And I'm not
even going back to the previous thread where Alexander wrote he would
*never* switch to a packaged solution. That one as well, is an
unilateral decision.

> Should we make it known and visible to people who use Salsa that some
> of their data might be stored at a 3rd party company? Is this a
> consent issue?

It's more than this, unfortunately. After we've all been invited to
migrate to Salsa, and all spent time on it, now it's partly non-free. If
I knew it would go this way, it's possible that I would have chosen
another place to host my Debian work. Possibly self-hosting it.

On 08/17/2018 03:46 PM, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> Have Salsa maintainers enabled the least invasive privacy features for
> this service?

Do you really trust this? I don't...

Also, have we ever thought that Google is completely banned in China?
Can users in China access the data? If it's direct access to things
hosted by Google, then the answer is probably that it's also blocked.

On 08/17/2018 03:49 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> why should gandi be better? Do you have access to all of their source
> code (managementfrontend, storagebackend, billingbackend and so on?)
>
> Unless debian is doing the whole thing on its own, we are out of luck.
>
> Alex

As I mentioned in my talk at Debconf18, there's 18 listed public cloud
providers using OpenStack here:

https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/public-clouds/

OVH, CloudWatt, Rackspace, Vexxhost, and also probably the company I
work for (Infomaniak) are potential candidates for sponsoring storage,
and all of them are using free-software hosting platforms.

I also don't understand why we're not attempting to build a Ceph cluster
at UBC. Why not?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)