Re: concerns about Salsa

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 02:37:16PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> Le lundi 04 juin 2018 à 12:54:32+0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> > In practice, I have found that it is much easier to deploy a
> > production service directly from its git tree.  This makes it much
> > easier to make changes.
>
> I've always found otherwise, ie that packaged stuff makes the administrator
> of a service spare a lot of time.
>
> I wonder then, if a lot of people prefer deploy a service from upstream's
> git repo/cookbooks, what is the purpose of packaging? Who would benefit from
> it and who should use package-distros?

My experience has been that if I'm working on a complex service then I
want as little friction as possible for the fast-moving stuff that I'm
working on directly and so often end up deploying that straight from git
or whatever, but that I prefer to use packages for everything else below
that layer.

I can perfectly well imagine taking different approaches to services
depending on whether I expected to be doing very hands-on maintenance
and/or development (in which case deploying from git is probably easier)
or whether I want to mostly leave them alone and deploy something that's
maybe not absolutely up to date but where somebody else is dealing with
most of the maintenance work (in which case packages would be
preferable).