Re: Unsustainable debian/rules as official build entry point?

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:

> Given the above, and that these are clear regressions, it seems
> obvious to me that we are (collectively) not checking/using debian/rules
> as the official build entry point interface.

> And I've got to question whether we should keep supporting it or just
> declare dpkg-buildpackage to be that entry point.

I'm definitely in favor of declaring dpkg-buildpackage to be the only
officially supported entry point for kicking off a package build.  Insofar
as we can without losing anything significant, I'm in favor of
standardizing and simplifying how Debian packages are built, if for no
other reason than that it means we're not theoretically promising things
we're not actually testing.

It's rarely a good idea in computing to promise that something works when
no one uses it seriously or consistently.  In that case, it rarely
actually works, and people who rely on that promise will just be
frustrated.